Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Enjoy The Ride

As I sat on the train to work the other morning, I looked out the window with a sense if peace washing over me. I had been rushing to get to the bus that would lead me to my train --knowing that I had already missed the one that would guarantee an on-time arrival--and had a moment as I settled on the train where I realized that checking the time would be fruitless and only fuel my concerns for timeliness. At this point, I recognized that I was on my way. The matter of when I would arrive was out of my hands. The schedule had been previously determined and when I got on I surrendered my ability to control my timing to the drivers and conductors.

As that reality settled in, I realized that the same thing holds true for the many things I'm waiting on God to make manifest in my life. Sure, I have basic control over when the journey began. I have some part to play in getting things moving. However, when we get on this Faith Train, we must be fully committed to surrendering our control to The Conductor of life, The Lord my God. He's not an imposing God. We are free to get off this train towards destiny at any stop along the way. But getting off the train doesn't negate our need/desire to reach the end destination. Getting off means creating our own delays. When we trust God with our life's schedule, we ensure that we arrive on time.

Checking our watches and constantly asking "when will we get there" doesn't change a thing so we may as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment